Pole: David Gilliland
Cautions: 7 for 35 laps
Lead Changes: 21 among 10 drivers
Race Winner: Johnny Sauter
Team : No. 21 – Allegiant Airlines Chevrolet
Owner: GMS Racing
Crew Chief: Joe Shear Jr.
- Johnny Sauter won the 19th Annual NextEra Energy Resources 250, his 18th victory in 222 NASCAR
Camping World Truck Series races.
- This is his third victory and fifth top-10 finish in ten races at Daytona International Speedway. Sauter
now leads the series in wins at Daytona.
- Justin Haley (second) posted his first top-10 finish in his first start at Daytona International Speedway.
- Joe Nemechek (third) posted his third top-10 finish in four races at Daytona International Speedway.
- Dalton Sargeant (eighth) was the highest finishing rookie.
- Johnny Sauter leads the point standings by 19 points over Justin Haley.
- GMS Racing scores their third consecutive win at Daytona – (2016 J. Sauter, 2017 K. Grala, 2018 J.
- GMS Racing is now tied with Bobby Hamilton Racing (2001, 2002, 2005) for the series-most wins at
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Feb. 16, 2018) – Johnny Sauter won the NextEra Energy Resources 250 on Friday night at Daytona International Speedway, his third victory in the season-opening event for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.
Sauter, driving the No. 21 Allegiant Airlines Chevrolet, emerged from a late-race battle among front-runners, taking the lead for good with eight laps remaining in the 100-lap/250-mile race on the 2.5-mile tri-oval. Sauter, whose previous victories in the event came in 2013 and ’16, outraced Justin Haley (No. 24 Fraternal Order of Eagles Chevrolet) and veteran Joe Nemechek (No. 87 D.A.B. Constructors Inc./Fleetwing Chevrolet) to the finish.
The race was run in three stages: 20, 20 and 60 laps. Pole winner David Gilliland (No. 4 Pedigree Toyota) won the first stage, with Sauter taking the second stage.
It was an emotional victory for Sauter’s team. The wife of his crew chief Joe Shear Jr., Chandra Shear, passed away in December.
“This is big … this is for Joe,” Sauter said. “I couldn’t be more proud of him to overcome something like that [and be here].
“This is the most unbelievable superspeedway truck I’ve ever driven. I felt like we executed flawlessly.”
/ via DIS Communications /
NextEra Energy Resources 250 Top 10:
- Johnny Sauter
- Justin Haley
- Joe Nemechek
- Ben Rhodes
- Scott Lagasse Jr.(i)
- Grant Enfinger
- Spencer Davis
- Dalton Sargeant #
- Jordan Anderson
- Justin Fontaine #
#Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender. (i) Ineligible for driver points in this series
NextEra Energy Resources 250 Rookie Finishes:
Dalton Sargeant, p8
Justin Fontaine, p10
Myatt Snider, p24
Bo LeMastus, p30